List of National Parks in South Dakota
South Dakota is home to several stunning national parks that showcase the state’s natural beauty, wildlife, and cultural heritage. From towering granite formations to rolling prairies and untamed wilderness, tourists and nature enthusiasts alike can explore and appreciate the diverse landscapes found within these national parks. Below is a list of the national parks in South Dakota.
1. Badlands National Park
Located in western South Dakota, Badlands National Park offers a unique combination of rugged beauty, dramatic landscapes, and fascinating wildlife. The closest major airport to the park is Rapid City Regional Airport, which is approximately 61 miles away.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-433-5361
- Mailing Address: 25216 Ben Reifel Road, Interior, SD 57750
2. Wind Cave National Park
Wind Cave National Park, located in the southern Black Hills of South Dakota, is famous for its unique cave formations and abundant wildlife. The park is approximately 54 miles from Rapid City Regional Airport.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/wica/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-745-4600
- Mailing Address: 26611 US Highway 385, Hot Springs, SD 57747
3. Jewel Cave National Monument
Jewel Cave National Monument, the third-longest known cave system in the world, is located near Custer in the Black Hills of South Dakota. The closest major airport to the park is Rapid City Regional Airport, situated approximately 47 miles away.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/jeca/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-673-8300
- Mailing Address: 11149 US Highway 16, Building B12, Custer, SD 57730
4. Mount Rushmore National Memorial
Mount Rushmore National Memorial, one of the most iconic U.S. landmarks, features the massive sculptures of four US presidents carved into the granite face of the mountain. The closest major airport to the memorial is Rapid City Regional Airport, approximately 34 miles away.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-574-2523
- Mailing Address: 13000 Highway 244, Building 31, Suite 1, Keystone, SD 57751
5. Minuteman Missile National Historic Site
Minuteman Missile National Historic Site preserves two decommissioned nuclear missile sites and a visitor center that educates visitors about the Cold War, nuclear arms race, and the role of intercontinental ballistic missiles. The park is approximately 93 miles from Sioux Falls Regional Airport, the closest major airport.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-717-7629
- Mailing Address: 24545 Cottonwood Road, Philip, SD 57567
6. Missouri National Recreational River
The Missouri National Recreational River is a unique park that preserves a 100-mile stretch of the Missouri River, showcasing its natural beauty, cultural history, and recreational opportunities. The park is approximately 46 miles from Sioux Falls Regional Airport, the closest major airport.
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/mnrr/index.htm
- Phone Number: 605-665-0209
- Mailing Address: 508 East 2nd Street, Yankton, SD 57078
Visiting these national parks in South Dakota will provide unforgettable experiences and opportunities to connect with nature and history. Be sure to check each park’s website for the most up-to-date information regarding hours of operation, entry fees, and visitor guidelines. Enjoy your exploration of South Dakota’s national parks!