List of National Parks in Michigan
Michigan is home to several stunning national parks that showcase the state’s natural beauty and diverse ecosystems. These parks offer visitors the chance to explore unique landscapes, observe wildlife, and engage in various outdoor activities. Here is a list of national parks in Michigan:
1. Isle Royale National Park
Local: Houghton, Michigan
Isle Royale National Park is located in Lake Superior, near the Canadian border. It consists of an isolated island archipelago with dense forests, serene lakes, and rugged landscapes. The park is known for its wolf and moose populations, making it an excellent destination for wildlife enthusiasts.
Closest Major Airport: Houghton County Memorial Airport (CMX) – approximately 5 miles away
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/isro/index.htm
- Phone Number: (906) 482-0984
- Mailing Address: Isle Royale National Park, ISRO HQ Houghton, MI 49931-1896
2. Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore
Local: Empire, Michigan
Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore is situated along Lake Michigan’s eastern coastline. The park offers stunning views of towering sand dunes, crystal-clear waters, and lush forests. Visitors can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities, such as hiking, swimming, and camping.
Closest Major Airport: Cherry Capital Airport (TVC) – approximately 34 miles away
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/slbe/index.htm
- Phone Number: (231) 326-4700
- Mailing Address: Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, 9922 Front Street, Empire, MI 49630
3. Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore
Local: Munising, Michigan
Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore stretches along Lake Superior’s southeastern shoreline and features breathtaking multicolored sandstone cliffs, stunning waterfalls, and pristine beaches. The park is a paradise for hikers, kayakers, and nature lovers.
Closest Major Airport: Sawyer International Airport (MQT) – approximately 44 miles away
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/piro/index.htm
- Phone Number: (906) 387-3700
- Mailing Address: Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore, N8391 Sand Point Road, Munising, MI 49862
4. Keweenaw National Historical Park
Local: Calumet, Michigan
Keweenaw National Historical Park encompasses the historic copper mining region of the Keweenaw Peninsula. Visitors can explore historic sites, museums, and scenic landscapes that tell the story of the region’s mining history. The park offers a unique blend of natural and cultural attractions.
Closest Major Airport: Houghton County Memorial Airport (CMX) – approximately 11 miles away
- Official Website: https://www.nps.gov/kewe/index.htm
- Phone Number: (906) 483-3176
- Mailing Address: Keweenaw National Historical Park, 25970 Red Jacket Road, Calumet, MI 49913
These national parks in Michigan offer unforgettable experiences for nature enthusiasts, providing an escape from busy city life into the tranquility of the great outdoors. Whether you’re seeking wildlife encounters, beautiful beaches, or a glimpse into Michigan’s fascinating history, these parks have it all.